You are Going on Vacation - Help Burglars Take One Too!
An empty house is a tempting target for a burglar. Use this checklist of tips to help safeguard your home while you’re away.
- Have good locks on all doors and windows and USE THEM!
- Ask a neighbor to watch the house while you’re away. It’s a good idea to leave your vacation address and telephone number with a neighbor so you can be reached in case of an emergency.
- Never leave your house key hidden outside your home.
- Stop all deliveries, or arrange for a neighbor to pick up your mail, newspapers, and packages.
- Arrange for someone to mow your lawn, rake leaves, plow your driveway and maintain your yard to give the home a lived-in look.
- Don’t announce your absence on answering machine messages.
- Leave your blinds, shades and curtains in a normal position. Don’t close them unless that is what you do when you are home.
- Close and lock garage doors and windows. If you leave a car at home, park as you normally would.
- Secure storage sheds, barns, attic entrances and gates.
- Engrave your valuables. This will allow your stolen property to be identified and returned if recovered by the police.
If you wish your house to be periodically checked by the police department, stop by the Nottingham Police Department and ask to fill out a vacant house check form. Your home will then be added to our vacant house check list and periodically checked by patrol officers.