On April 21, 1721, 101 residents of seacoast towns from Boston to Portsmouth petitioned to establish a town to the Provinance of NH Gov. Samuel Shute and the British king for a tract of land ten miles square northwest of Exeter. At a meeting of the Governor and Council in Portsmouth, their request was granted; the name of the town was to be Nottingham. The charter was formally issued on May 10, 1722, and by May of 1723, a total of 132 persons had signed on as “proprietors” and had the right to draw “rights” or lots of land.
Nottingham is approximately 46.5 square miles of land area and 1.9 square miles of inland water area.
Visit the Nottingham Historical Society on Facebook